Check out our Ecotourism page to see what activities we have to offer if you’re here for a couple of days and want to support our cause:
– Donate. If every holiday maker visiting Gili donated the price of a large Bintang to our environmental projects we can continue our work to protect Gili Trawangan’s natural beauty.
– Eco gift shop. If you are looking for a unique gift check out our beautiful upcycled souvenirs made from old glass bottles or rescued fishing rope bracelets, and an array of beautiful handmade, re-purposed gifts aimed to reduce our single use plastic consumption.
– Eco tour: Want to learn more about our projects above and below the water?
Take the 1,5 hour RE-cycle tour to learn about the dark side of waste and tourism on Gili and how we counteract it.
Take the 1,5 hour Biorock Eco Snorkel Tour to explore our artificial reef restoration and how we are rebuilding Gili’s damaged reefs.
Each tour is minimum 50k donation which goes back into helping the project you are exploring.
– Eco Paddleboard Safari: Time to jump on the sea and clean the ocean surface of plastics on a paddleboard! These seasonal safaris (Oct- April) aim to collect as much trash from the ocean as possible, to sort, separate and ensure this trash never gets back to the ocean. 1,5hours with pocket mesh bag and free paddleboard lesson included! (150,000rp)
– Debris Free Friday: join us on our beach clean from 5 to 6pm and get a free beer, meet new friends and a watch a beautiful sunset.
We change location of Debris Free Friday every week to ensure we can clean the whole island! Here is where we are cleaning in 2020:
On Gili T for a little longer and want to give back to the island we all enjoy and love? We are always looking for new passionate and motivated volunteers to join our eco warriors on their daily environmental missions. If you are fascinated about Biorocks and want to learn more about this incredible reef restoration technique then join on our 2 week intensive programme to build and sink your very own artificial coral reef!
Not a certified diver? No problem, there are several positions available in our green team (ten at any one time)
Among helping out the local staff in the recycling centre, to additional beach cleans, our green team continue to collect data and research trends in tourism, solid waste, events planning and communications.
If you feel like you are a suitable candidate for our 2 month eco warrior volunteering then get in touch with the button below!
Please note: we only accept full time volunteers/interns for a minimum of 2 months to ensure proper training and inductions on all projects. Anything under this could be detrimental to the long term projects we are sustaining.
Jimmy Ridray, 23 years old. French. Studying social Sciences
“During my 3 months on Gili Trawangan, I assisted in the Montessori school twice a week. We created little games and songs inspiring kids to care for the environment and finished term time joining with the local school and 250+ children for a big GreenDay event with games and crafts. I will never forget my Eco Warrior experience and how anyone can make a difference.”
Pauline Lautrous, 23 years old. French. Studying Agriculture and Environment.
“During this internship, I helped three times a week to help sorting the plastic bottles, labels and bottle caps on the island with Bank Sampah. Recycling on Trawangan is so important as this amazing island is drowning in rubbish. It was wonderful to make an impact and be able to help out.”
Lola Mongis, 22 years old. French. Nursing school.
“I spent 3 months at the Gili Eco Trust whilst on Gili Trawangan. I love cats so it was so nice to help out during the cat clinics 2 weeks of the island. We had to catch all the cats of the island to neuter and vaccinate them to help the population and ensure they aren’t all sick. I learnt a lot and had a lot of fun with the team of eco warriors for the Gili Eco Trust. I hope to come back again!”